Monday, September 14, 2009

Up the First Mountain

Sometimes in life......ah, nevermind.  I don't really need any inspiring context-setting preface.  This morning, I strapped on the shoes, stretched, and ran just over 5 Kilometers, 3.1 miles, non-stop.  I started running just outside my apartment complex and didn't stop until I returned there, just under 30 minutes later.  Now, as I peruse some of the results of past 5K races, my time of 29 minutes plus some change looks pretty shabby, but perhaps looking at those results was overreaching.  The important thing that happened today was that I proved to myself that I could set a seemingly daunting goal and reach it.  I told myself that I would be able to run a 5k non-stop by mid September, and I beat that goal.  This is sort of bittersweet.  It's bitter because now I have no excuse as to why I am not on my way to accomplishing my goals.  It is sweet because I have no real obstacle over and above myself.

But this small victory, this reaching of the summit of the first peak, would not be complete without me taking a look at the next mountain to climb, the 10K.  Sure, I'm happy that I did a straight 5K.  But my goal was not just to do a 5K, it was, and still is, to run a marathon.  So having reached my first small goal en route to the ultimate goal, I need to focus on reaching the next goal, training for a 10K race.  But I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I also need to actually run a 5K race.  Although I ultimately run against myself in this quest, it would behoove me to run a race against others.  After all, if I plan to run a marathon by this time next year (or sooner), I ought to learn how to share the road.

Onward!

2 comments: